“Neither is it that US foreign policy is cruel because American leaders are cruel. It’s that our leaders are cruel because only those willing to be inordinately cruel and remorseless can hold positions of leadership in the foreign policy establishment; it might as well be written into the job description. People capable of expressing a full human measure of compassion and empathy toward faraway powerless strangers – (let alone American soldiers – do not become president of the United States, or vice president, or secretary of state, or national security adviser or secretary of the treasury. Nor do they want to.” From ‘Rogue State: A Guide to the World’s Only Superpower’ by William Blum
From “9-11, Six Years Later”: “If one looks at the credentials of skeptics compared to the credentials of defenders of the official line, it is impossible to dismiss skeptics as kooks. There are many people with strong imaginations on the Internet, but serious skeptics stick to known facts, known violations of standard procedures and the laws of physics. The vast majority of the people who call skeptics “kooks” are themselves ignorant of physics and have little comprehension of the improbability that such an attack could succeed without either the complicity or complete failure of government agencies. “ Paul Craig Roberts
“Cowardice asks the question, ‘Is it safe?’ Expediency asks the question, ‘Is it politic?’ Vanity asks the question, ‘Is it popular? But, conscience asks the question, ‘Is it right?’ And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because one’s conscience tells one that it is right.” Martin Luther King, Jr.
Why is PG?s sports and recreational sector getting punched in the gut?
Why is PG?s sports and recreational sector getting punched in the gut?
By Peter Ewart
Monday, November 05, 2012 03:46 AM
By Peter Ewart
One of the remarkable aspects of Prince George has always been its dynamic sports and recreation sector.?Hockey, baseball, soccer, football, track and field, swimming, golf, ice skating, ringette, martial arts, tennis ? The list of activities goes on and on.?All of this is testimony to the enthusiasm of city residents of all ages for healthy and vibrant living.
This sector depends upon literally thousands of volunteers who spend countless hours organizing, supervising, refereeing, fundraising, and all the other tasks that go into staging events and running clubs and organizations – often on a shoestring budget.?Many parents are involved, either as volunteers or spectators, as are youth, seniors, and others.?Coming up in 2015, of course, are the Canada Winter Games, the successful organizing of which will depend heavily on volunteers.
There is no doubt about it.?Those, both young and older, who participate in sports and recreation contribute hugely to the community at large and its social cohesiveness, whether as direct participants, by maintaining their levels of health (and being less of a cost to the health care system), as volunteers in donating their time and labour to make it all happen, or in making the city a more attractive place for employers and employees who are considering relocating or investing here.
So why is it that, in the KPMG final report to the city on the Core Service Review, this vibrant and invaluable sector is getting sucker punched in the gut??What did it do to deserve this treatment?
Take a look at KPMG?s recommendations.?Recreational fee increases, adding up to as high as $1,530,000 for the sector as a whole, including fees for aquatics ($400,000), ice rinks ($930,000), and sports fields & parks ($200,000).?Who will end up paying these jacked up fees??Cash-strapped sports clubs and recreational organizations who have to rent the rinks, fields, buildings and parks.?Kids who want to play sports or go swimming.?Adults who want to keep fit.?The elderly who want to maintain their activity levels.?Indeed, it is ironic that the very volunteers who are already donating their time for free could end up having to dig in their pockets even more to keep their organizations going.?KPMG is also suggesting enhanced ?inclusion subsidies? for low income earners, but the fact remains that fees are going to rise for the majority.
But these jacked up fees of $1,530,000 are not the only way that the sports and recreation sector (and the people of Prince George as a whole) will take a hit.?It also takes one in that KPMG actually recommends selling off another sports facility – the city-owned Pine Valley Golf course ? to land developers.?Of all the city land proposed to be sold off, it is interesting that a parcel of land devoted to sports is the biggest chunk of all (as much as $17 million), none of which (judging by KPMG?s report) would come back to the sports and recreation sector.
In addition, KPMG is also recommending that the Four Seasons Pool be handed over to a third party operator, possibly the YMCA.?What that will mean to future pool fees for youth, adults, seniors and swimming groups, is anyone?s guess.?But experience in some other cities, where similar third party handovers are done, show that fees can go up significantly.
And so it is, according to the wisdom of the KPMG consultants – most of whom were flown in from Toronto and elsewhere, and had little knowledge about the city and its traditions ? that the sports and recreation sector of Prince George is to foot the bill for the spending excesses of the current and previous city councils.?This, of course, is the same city council (a couple of councillors excepted) which refuses to examine how the city?s debt was run up in the first place, and especially the role of some the big capital projects of the past. According to the mayor, such an examination of past practice is not part of the Core Review process.
But punching the volunteer-driven sports and recreational sector in the gut is apparently very much part of the process ? the biggest part it appears, when you get down to actual dollars and cents.
The public meeting at 6pm on Tuesday, November 13 (sponsored by I Heart PG, CUPE, Stand Up for the North Committee, and Faculty Association of CNC) is an opportunity for those concerned about sports and recreation in the city to come out and have their voices heard.?Everyone who would like to will be given a two minute slot to speak their mind on KPMG?s final report.?This is important, as city council, in the days and weeks ahead, will be making decisions on which portions of the report it will adopt.
Peter Ewart is a columnist and writer based in Prince George, British Columbia.?He can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Why is PG?s sports and recreational sector getting punched in the gut?.
Leave a Reply
NO Deep integration!
The Metafrets guitar chord and scale system is documented in a book, “Metafrets Major – The Essential Manual”. Download the FREE book, lessons, chord charts and a chord dictionary.
- ** Alter Net: Some progressive stuff, but too much “9/11 Gatekeeper” material.
- * Alternative Press Review – Your Guide Beyond the Mainstream : Somewhat iconoclastic progressive site, with a print version available.
- Aleatoric: An investigation into the nature of duality and conflict systems, with a focus on state power and psychology.
- * American Prospect Online: Also a progressive print magazine.
- **** Another Day in the Empire: Kurt Nimmo’s blog.
- **** Antiwar.com: Antiwar site by Justin Raimondo. Politics makes strange bedfellows on this one, as in many respects, I have troubles with Raimondo’s libertarian views. Right-gatekeeper for sure, but he is almost admitting LIHOP now.
- ***** Architects and Engineers for 9 11 Truth: … Architects & Engineers who have joined AE911Truth.org in calling upon Congress for a new truly independent investigation into the “collapses” of the WTC Twin Towers and Building 7 – requesting a specific examination for controlled demolition with explosives. … Take a stand for Truth and join us!
- **** Axis of Logic: Committed to publishing news and commentary that is often not presented in the major news outlets
- **** B.C. Civil Liberties Association: Website of the British Columbia, Canada, Civil Liberties Association.
- *** BuzzFlash – Daily Headlines and Breaking News: Lot’s of links, but seems to attract a lot of dupes. Left-gatekeepers.
- **** Carolyn Baker – Speaking Truth To Power:… up-to-the-moment alternative reporting of U.S. and international news, articles containing information and opinion, and a venue of support and connection for awake individuals …
- ***** Centre for Research on Globalization: Some interesting and provocative opinions on a number of issues. Certainly worth going to this site.
- ***** Chris Floyd – Empire Burlesqe: Superb columnist.
- **** Citizen’s Circle for Accountability: Public accountability means the obligation of authorities to explain publicly, fully and fairly, before and after the fact, how they are carrying out responsibilities that affect the public in important ways. These explanations, publicly validated, would produce useful information for citizens affected by the intentions, and would produce a beneficial self-regulating influence on the conduct of authorities.
- ***** Civil Information Blog: The home of those 9/11 Truth Activists who practice the technique of Civil Informationing, as opposed to mass protests and confrontations with media / politicians. We advocate ‘being the media’, and acting responsibly and civilly (as individuals or in small groups) to inform our fellow citizens about what we have learned about 9/11, the war on terror, and closely related issues. We regard it as our civic duty, and view 60’s style activism as outdated in the ‘information age’, and self-defeating
- **** Crimes of the State: Crimes of the State
- **** Crooks and Liars: John Amato?s virtual online magazine?OK, It?s a blog!
- ** Common Dreams: One of the most widely ready progressive sites. Pretty much left gatekeepers.
- ***** Complete 911 Timeline: This is the home page for the Complete 911 Timeline investigative project, one of several grassroots investigations being hosted on the History Commons website. The data published as part of this investigation has been collected, organized, and published by members of the public who are registered users of this website.
- ** Counterbias.com- We Inform, You Conclude: Another 9/11 Truth gatekeeper site.
- ** Crisis Papers: Weiner is somewhat OK on 9/11. Partridge still doesn’t get it.
- **** Consortium News: Investigative journalist Robert Parry’s fine site.
- **** Cyrano’s Journal: Cyrano’s Journal Anti-Capitalist Tool
- **** Dahr Jamail’s Iraq Dispatches: Investigative journalist Dahr Jamail’s Iraq Dispatches – an unembedded journalist in IRAQ and a man of courage.
- **** Desert Peace: Aiming to establish a just and lasting peace between Israel and Palestine, while at the same time continue the struggle against racism and for peace throughout the world.
- *** Dissident Voice: Allowed to comment on 9/11 Truth.
- ** Editor & Publisher: America’s Oldest Journal Covering the Newpaper Industry
- **** Fascism Anyone?: … there is one archetypal political philosophy that is anathema to almost all of these principles. It is fascism. And fascism?s principles are wafting in the air today, surreptitiously masquerading as something else, challenging everything we stand for.
- **** Firefighters for 9/11 Truth: Firefighters for 9/11 Truth.
- *** Free Speech Network: What democracy looks like.: Not too familar with this one, but will give it a try for a while. It looks good at first glance.
- **** Freedom Rider: Margaret Kimberley’s blog.
- **** From The Wilderness Publications Home Page: Some very good stuff. Unfortunately, now just archival.
- ***** Gatecreepers: Sophisticated analysis of conspiracy – very good material to add to your intellectual toolkit.
- ***** George Washington’s Blog: George Washington’s blog – 9/11 Truth, antiwar
- ***** Gordon Ross on 9/11: Papers on 9/11 by Scottish mechanical engineer Gordon Ross.
- *** Green Left: Australian alterative media site – quite good.
- ** Guerrilla News Network: It seems at first glance to be a fine site, with links to lots of first rate progressive articles. However, there are some indications that the principle actors on the site are “left-gatekeepers” and agents of disinformation. Keep your eyes open.
- ***** Hidden Agendas: The films and writings of John Pilger. : Simply one of the best investigative journalists.
- **** Harper Index: Dedicated to analyzing the background and the persuasion tactics of Canada’s Conservative minority government.
- **** Henry Kissenger: War Crimes Why single out this SOB? Well, read the site.
- **** Independent Media Center ((( i ))): There are a number of independent media centers world wide.
- ***** Information Clearing House: Excellent judgment in choosing pieces to be posted.
- ***** Integrate This: Challenging the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP) of North America, the North American Union.
- ***** Journal of 911 Studies: The Journal of 9/11 Studies is a peer-reviewed, open-access, electronic-only journal covering the whole of research related to 9/11/2001. Our mission is to provide evidence-based, peer-reviewed research that furthers the cause of truth and justice.
- **** Labour Start: Where trade unionists start their day on the net.
- **** Left Gatekeepers: Analysis of left gatekeepers.
- ***** Mad Cow Morning News: Investigative journalist and author Daniel Hopsicker. A must read for understanding certain aspects of the September 11 terrorist attacks.
- **** Media Matters for America: Good critique of mainstream media, updated frequently.
- **** Media Lens : Media Lens is a response based on our conviction that mainstream newspapers and broadcasters provide a profoundly distorted picture of our world. We are convinced that the increasingly centralised, corporate nature of the media means that it acts as a de facto propaganda system for corporate and other establishment interests. The costs incurred as a result of this propaganda, in terms of human suffering and environmental degradation, are incalculable.
- **** Naomi Klein : Naomi Klein
- *** No Quarter : No Quarter
- ***** http://www.oilempire.us: A primary site for September 11, 2001 terrorist attack researchers. Has a good critique of some of the more suspect claims, and a good discussion of conspiracy denial amongst progressive authors.
- ***** Online Journal: Worth the visit. Amongst the best sites for progressive journalism.
- ***** Op Ed News : Amongst the best sites for progressive journalism. Will publish 9/11 Truth pieces.
- ***** Power of Narrative: Arthur Silber’s excellent writings.
- ***** Pilots for 9/11 Truth : An organization of aviation professionals and pilots throughout the globe commited to seeking the truth surrounding the events of the 11th of September 2001.
- **** Public Power BC: Public Power BC.
- **** PUBPAT : PUBPAT Represents the Public’s Interests Against Undeserved Patents and Unsound Patent Policy
- ***** Question Questions: A review of independent perspectives on current events.
- *** Rabble: Mainstream progressive views from Canada.
- **** Redpill Blogspot: Parapolitics and Propaganda in the New World Order.
- *** Rigorous Inuition: Cautiously pessimistic Canadian author and satirist.
- Right on Canada: Views from Canada.
- **** Richard C. Cook: There is no distinction between spirituality and economics. The economic life of a nation reflects its spiritual state, its spiritual attitudes.
- **** Richard Heinberg: Learn about the The Oil Depletion Protocol, one of the world’s best policy tools for addressing our societal dependence on fossil fuels. Click on the link below, and sign the Oil Depletion Procotol as an Individual Adopter. Be an example to your local, state, and national governments!
- **** Rivers for Generations: Rivers for Generations.
- **** Stop the Lie: So let’s get right to it: Is it really baseless idiocy that drives people to question the official account of 9/11? Are the millions of Americans (including Senators, FBI agents, Doctors, Lawyers, Professors, Scientists, Engineers, etc.) all paranoid loons for suggesting we need a truly independent investigation of 9/11? The government and media would have you think so. They’d also (to help maintain that perception) need to keep you diverted from the information you’re about to read.
- ***** Scholars for 9/11 Truth & Justice : This is the new home for a restructured scholars group that welcomes scholars and all persons interested in exposing the truths of the 9/11/01 attack. Care is being taken to present the strongest, most credible research available, some of which is published on our sister site, the Journal of 9/11 Studies.
- **** Source Watch: Alternative media site – was Disinfopedia – quite good
- **** Sheila Casey/: A progressive site that is 9/11 Truth friendly.
- **** Spartacus/: Some history that you may be not be familar with.
- **** Stop Lying: STOP LYING – A website exposing lies by people we trust to tell the truth.
- ***** This Can’t Be Happening: Dave Lindorff’s excellent blog.
- ***** The 911 Agenda – September 11 and Our Political System: This website will be devoted to political history and the effects of the strategy of tension on our current political predicament. I hope that the articles listed on the Front Page will provide a good introduction.
- **** The Authoritarians: “Altemeyer prepared a digest of his research for general readers, …, which he has posted online for one and all to examine at no cost.” John Dean
- **** The Canadian Spectator : a single-handed protest at the Canadian Government’s contemptible subservience to a corporate oligopoly that is allowed control over virtually all Canadian news outlets. Needless to say, this control serves the interests of plutocratic oligopolists, not those of ordinary Canadians.
- **** The Council of Canadians – Nanaimo: We’re making a 60 minute documentary about SPP (the Security Prosperity Partnership) and TILMA (Trade Investment Labour Mobility Agreement) and how trade agreements in general are driven by a secretive corporate agenda that excludes civil society, the labour and environmental movements. These agreements escape the scrutiny of our democratic processes, but may alter/remove regulations and institutions that have been put in place by decades of democratically elected representatives of the people.
- ***** The National Security State: If this doesn’t outrage you, you have no soul.
- **** The New American Empire: Blog on World Geopolitics by Economist Rodrigue TREMBLAY, Ph.D.
- *** The Smirking Chimp: Left gatekeepers with respect to articles published on 9/11 but still having links to lots of first rate progressive articles.
- ***** The Existentialist Cowboy : A writer with a fine mind.
- **** The Free Press — Independent News Media: Good progressive site, with a print version available.
- *** The Independent Institute: Many articles from Ivan Eland and others. Right wing stuff generally, but there were some good anti-war views from Ivan Eland in the past.
- **** The Third World Traveler: Lots of good stuff here. I like the quotes that they provide.
- **** This Canadian: This Canadian
- *** TomPaine.com -Home: Sometimes good columnists.
- *** True Blue Liberal: We?ve taken it upon ourselves to provide news, opinion, and information from off of the beaten path in an effort to keep you informed and up to date.
- **** truthdig: Coverage of current affairs as well as a variety of thoughtful, provocative content assembled from a progressive point of view.Probable left gate-keepers.
- **** Truth Move: TruthMove is an organization dedicated to personal and social change through the process of truth. We focus on education and direct action, and are actively seeking new allies and volunteers.
- ****Thomas Paine’s Corner: Civil libertarian views from Jason Miller.
- **** truthout, News Politics: Maintained by author William Rivers Pitt. Good stuff in general, but probably left gate-keepers.
- **** Unknown News: “We believe in liberty and justice for all, so of course, we oppose many US government policies. … It means we believe in freedom, as more than merely a cliche.”
- ***** Uruknet: Uruknet
- **** Vancouver 9/11 Truth: Vancouver 9/11 Truth
- **** Victoria 9-11 Truth: Victoria 9-11 Truth
- **** Visibility 9/11: Dedicated to exposing the lies of the official story of September 11th, 2001.
- **** Vive Le Canada: Progressive Canadian Site
- ***** We Are Change: We recognize that the world does not function through a left/right paradigm, but a top/down hierarchy that threatens to destroy free society as we know it.
- *** Wayne Madsen Report: Wayne Madsen, investigative journalist
- **** WHAT REALLY HAPPENED.COM: Right wing libertarian Michael Rivero has an interesting mix. I have to admit I visit this site first – even though he is way to the right of me. He supports the 9/11 truth initiative and has some good original articles.
- **** Winter Patriot: These are the times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. … Thomas Paine, 1776
- World Press: News and Views From Around the World – Read newspapers before they appear on the newstands.
- **** World Socialist Web Site: The World Socialist Web Site features daily news and analysis written from a socialist perspective, and commentary on the arts, culture, history, ….
- **** http://wtcdemolition.com/blog/: Our desired goal is a provocative and informative resource for those who feel that the issue of 9/11 merits serious and thought-provoking discussion and debate.
mario manningham williams syndrome hoya casa de mi padre corned beef and cabbage diners drive ins and dives jeff who lives at home